Saturday, October 24, 2009

Ducati Needle Bearing Disaster: Part One

Traveling down the highway after a long day in the canyons, I prepared myself for the exit onto highway 14. It’s a tight, slightly banked, second gear turn. I started braking from 85mph to 40mph, grabbed the clutch and nothing. It was hard as a rock. I blipped the throttle,

downshifting without the clutch, and somehow managed to avoid crashing. The clutch worked intermittently as I limped home, then finally gave up the ghost about a mile from my 5-by-10.

The disassembly of the clutch revealed quite the mess. The slave cylinder is fried, the seals are blown, and the bearing that is supposed to keep the pushrod from spinning is filled with metal flakes. On the clutch side of the bike, the needle bearing is missing several rollers, and the pushrod is chewed up.

New parts on the way:

-Oberon slave cylinder

-Pushrod

-Paulimoto pressure plate

-Main shaft needle bearing

-Various o-rings, etc.

Such is the life of a Ducati owner. Stay tuned for the fix…hopefully before it snows.


No comments:

Post a Comment