Saturday, November 7, 2009

G2 Throttle Tamer Review

As you may recall, I installed a more aggressive throttle cam at the beginning of this season. One of the only drawbacks to the new cam is that the on/off throttle response is jerky. Per chance, I stumbled on the G2 Ergonomics site, and read about their “Throttle Tamer.” The Throttle Tamer replaces the linear cam on the throttle tube with a progressive cam. In this case the cam is less aggressive than stock for the first half of throttle opening, and the same as stock for the second half.
The installation was easy, and took less than ten minutes. The hardest part of the installation was getting a 10mm wrench to fit between the horizontal cylinder and the radiator when adjusting cable slack. The Electraeon throttle cam that mounts on the throttle bodies is smaller than stock, and the G2 Throttle Tamer is in essence slightly smaller than stock, as such the throttle cable is nearing the end of its adjustment. When it comes time to replace it, I may consider getting a custom cable made that is slightly shorter than stock.
I wasn’t sure what to expect on my test ride, as I don’t think I’ve ever ridden a bike with a progressive throttle. But, I am happy to report that the throttle pick up is very natural. Further more, the G2 Throttle Tamer cured 99% of the jerky on/off response. In fact, I won’t pursue any other fixes (e.g. tuning). Thus far the only downside I can see is that the slight increase in the distance from fully closed to fully open. It is, however, still much less than stock. On the other hand, now that the throttle response is more manageable, I can proceed with my plans to add a lightweight flywheel.
It’s worth mentioning that both the quality of the product, and the quality of the service (both phone and email) that I received from G2 Ergonomics easily meets my criteria for excellent.
Visit G2 Ergonomics: http://g2ergo.com/




No comments:

Post a Comment